[AusNOG] New list charter from the AusNOG Board

Noel Butler noel.butler at ausics.net
Sat Dec 18 19:32:07 EST 2010

On Sat, 2010-12-18 at 19:08 +1100, Ben McGinnes wrote:

> On 18/12/10 3:34 PM, Noel Butler wrote:
> >
> > What about those who sign up directly, via SMTP Email, its how I did,
> > its likely how many here did when this list was first announced  after
> > the troubles many of us had with the last list server, an "agree before
> > you sign up" via  a web page is utterly pointless unless you are going
> > to disable half of mailman as well.
>
> How about including a copy of the charter with the welcome message when
> a person subscribes?  That would cover everyone, regardless of method of
> subscription.

Ben,
That would be a good idea (and I support that move), but their point was
"agree before you join",  you would need to modify and include the
charter in the subscribe confirmation request, in the email, not just on
mailman, as many use "reply to" to confirm, not just go to the link, you
need to link to the charter saying by subscribing you agree blah blah
blah, but again who reads those things, we all know what mailing list
requests expect and just reply or click, honestly, who read the rest of
the blurb, likely no one :)