[AusNOG] NBN: "i want a pony! but can I afford it"

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Aug 13 14:41:09 EST 2010

On 13/08/2010, at 1:10 PM, Mark Newton wrote:

> On 13/08/2010, at 11:39 AM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>
>> And yet you STILL OFFER NO LONGER TERM ALTERNATIVE.
>
> I could propose that on October 20th this year we should replace the
> world's entire passenger transport infrastructure with flying monkeys.
> Ships, planes, cars, busses, trains all gone.

FTTP as a technology is sound and deployed.  I see no Flying Monkeys.

>> No solutions for even 10 years time.   No actual changes to the regulatory environment, nothing.

> We've lived with the current regulatory environment for most of two
> decades.  There's no emergency here; it should be possible to spend
> a bit of time scratching our nation's collective heads until we have
> an idea better than the one that Conroy and Rudd dreamed up
> last April during a plane flight from Sydney to Melbourne.

So, let's do that.  Hence why I keep asking people for an alternate plan.  Come on, we've all been living through this "non-emergency" for 20 years, we've got some ideas, let's flesh them out.

Your post is confusing Mark, on one hand you say people saying no don't need to give an alternate plan, but then you go, well, we do need to come up with an alternate.

So let's go ... it's why I keep asking, so what's the alternate plan?   None of us like the current situation, some like, some don't like the NBN, but where's the middle ground that'll actually work and give a good long term outcome?

I really want, given I have some kids, to have a broadband future here in Oz.   I'd like to not have bandaid after bandaid that is the current suggestions.   I'd REALLY like to have a vibrant communications industry with a lot of options for local loops/backhaul etc.

MMC