[AusNOG] NBN: "i want a pony! but can I afford it"

Sam Silvester sam.silvester at gmail.com
Fri Aug 13 14:26:06 EST 2010

On Fri, Aug 13, 2010 at 1:10 PM, Mark Newton <newton at internode.com.au> wrote:

> If a/the problem is the regulatory environment, is there anything a
> government
> could do to fix it, so that people like Tim would have regulatory certainty,
> the Govt won't eat up his investments, AND Australia can get better
> broadband?

That's a good question - so far I've not seen anything proposed, apart
from people saying "if there was regulatory certainty, I'd be
investing" - without any additional detail of what would be provided
by such an investment. Sorry, if that investment is a few wireless
towers, I think that's pretty average. It'd scrape by with today's
needs, but even a few years out that's going to be inadequate.

The thing I take exception to is the number of people on this list
that seem to be arguing around 100Mbit being excessive. I hate to
admit steal words from you-know-who, but that does seem to be a bit of
a failure of imagination.

If I can comfortably max out my home ADSL2+ service without doing
anything nerdtastic today, I daresay it's reasonable to suggest we're
at the point wheres the goal of looking to higher bandwidth / 'future
proof' alternatives is a reasonable requirement if there is going to
be taxpayer money spent.