[AusNOG] background radiation was: "i want a pony!" (wasRe:Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal])

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Aug 13 08:06:13 EST 2010

On 12/08/2010, at 2:30 PM, Tim McCullagh wrote:

I really think  a lot of people need to sit down and add up the costs of building an NBN.   Not that many would have any idea of the costs. I have been told that tas nbn cost $300 million for 4000 homes past with less than 50% taking up a "free connection"  with less than 100 connected. If this is correect it tells me it is a financial disaster in the making.

According to Quigley in Commsday today:

"NBN Co CEO Mike Quigley also told media that the project in Tasmania had come in at between 5- 10 percent under budget, with the total budget of the project reportedly around A$37 million."

That, for a fairly small set of builds (5000 houses in 3 sites) with obvious fixed costs which would be amortised over more houses in a larger set of builds.

It's only just been launched so the take up rate is a bit moot at the moment.

MMC