[AusNOG] background radiation was: "i want a pony!" (wasRe:Longlive the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal])

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Aug 12 17:44:23 EST 2010

On 12/08/2010, at 3:55 PM, Curtis Bayne wrote:

The NBN isn't free: instead of customers paying a price which reflects the type of service they require combined with the cost of delivering the service, every single Australian taxpayer foots the bill of delivering these services regardless of how much they want/need it.

ie. you don't want others to be able to service YOUR (you own them?) customers even if it's good for the people who are currently your customers.

It's the same argument is the same one which goes "well, we shouldn't build any hospitals in regional areas because people in Melbourne don't use them".   Every tax payer foots the bill, but not everyone wants a hospital in a regional area for their use.   How far do we go with this strawman?

We can choose not to do NBN, but no one so far as articulated a plan which matches it and solves the actual problems it will solve plus the benefits it'll bring.  We've seen complaints about the amount of money, but no alternate plan to get us to the next 40-50 years nor one that would create the infrastructure from the private industry over that time.  Especially when people also complain that it's there's no business case to do it and especially when people complain that there's no regulatory certainty anyway.

If you're going to say "No NBN" then do so with some view as to solving the problems over the long term (40-50 years) and demonstrate that changing how we spend money over the next 8 years would actually give a better outcome.  because delaying replacing the current fixed local loops isn't really a long term plan.   In less than 10 years I'm going to want more than my ADSL2+ service running at ~11Mbps so that I can use the 'net when my two kids + wife are at the same time.   Especially if we want to have even one IPTV channel running.

MMC