[AusNOG] Long live the NBN. The NBN is dead?! [personal]

Andrew Oskam percy at th3interw3bs.net
Wed Aug 11 15:46:33 EST 2010

The problem I have with agreeing with you, Is that your "Roll Royce" analogy that your using isn't very fitting for this countries scenario.

People buy a new car when they need and/or want it. Whether an individual buys a new car or not doesn't really have an impact on the rest of the country.

Broadband on the other hand, is an economical asset that we can't really just sit on our hands on and just upgrade when we want it.

Maybe we don't need it now. Maybe we won't need it 4 years from now. But in 10 years time when we do want it or need it we will end up saying to ourselves "Hmmm, shame we didn't upgrade 10 years ago - I could've used 100Mbit right about now".

Technology changes so rapidly and it's usefulness to many business is changing all the time. This isn't a bridge we can just cross when the time comes, we're already years behind the rest of the world and we should be looking care of an asset that has had so many years of abandonment.

I see your reasoning for upgrading other sectors - yes, they are bad. But, they get attention all the time - it's time the light was on Broadband for a change.

Andrew Oskam
E  percy at th3interw3bs.net

NOTICE:
These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of my employer or their affiliates. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal experiences. You should conduct independent tests to verify the validity of any statements made in this email before basing any decisions upon those statements.