[AusNOG] Internet Filter Action Forum-Malcolm Turnbull organised event (Sydney) (IMPORTANT PLEASE READ)

Andrew Oskam percy at th3interw3bs.net
Wed Aug 11 14:09:17 EST 2010

> Hows the irony in this.    "we want more fibre" but we send the message from
> a wireless device.

Convenience? lol - my laptop wasn't close by at the time.

> As someone that signs the front of cheques and someone that talks to
> customers everyday about what they want, need and have the capacity to pay
> for it amazes me when I see the statements above or the statement that we
> should build the best most expensive option now.

You can't argue with the fact that many Australians hate being tied in with Telstra both for technical reasons and pricing.
And you're right - not everyone wants or likes the Roll Royce choice.

Unfortunately though - I don't really see a lot of alternative options that offer the same benefits as fibre.

Although NextG / Wireless is new and has potential to do great things - it still has inherent traits that ultimately leave me with a bad taste in the mouth.

I'd rather not have Wireless as a permanent service - I'd prefer it to sit as a backup option. Something I can even take on holidays.

If you can offer up a better and cheaper solution then I am all ears.

But as it stands, if we are to make any progress into getting into the same playing field as the rest of the world - Fibre does seem to be the best.

People can't have the best of both worlds. Their precious footpath can be rebuilt - the loss of an economical asset is a much tougher job.

Andrew Oskam
E  percy at th3interw3bs.net

NOTICE:
These comments are my own personal opinions only and do not necessarily reflect the positions or opinions of my employer or their affiliates. All comments are based upon my current knowledge and my own personal experiences. You should conduct independent tests to verify the validity of any statements made in this email before basing any decisions upon those statements.