[AusNOG] NBN Co Layer 2 vs. Layer 3 Services

Andreux Fort afort at choqolat.org
Thu Apr 22 16:24:57 EST 2010

On Thu, Apr 22, 2010 at 4:09 PM, Paul Brooks
<pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au> wrote:
> For fairness, one of the arguments was around traffic efficiency - that in a
> Layer-2 model, traffic from (say) a factory connected to one RSP that wanted
> to get to (say) a business partner located physically right next door that
> was connected to a different RSP would not follow an optimal path across the
> street, but will be forced to travel all the way out to an interconnect
> point and through RSP1, then be handed over to RSP2, then have to travel all
> the way back to the recipient - possibly hundreds of kilometres.  The guys
> advocating for Layer3 seem to assume that NBNCo's routers would allow the
> traffic to cut-through and stay entirely local, and would not have to hit
> either of the RSPs core networks at all. I remain unconvinced.

Yeah, normally I'd expect (esp in a multi-VRP environment) that the
edge routers would have as few prefixes as possible.

One thing I havent' seen addressed on this list is the shared-RSP
management of the NTU.  With multiple parties all wanting to
monitor/provision the NTU, what do people expect to happen?  I've
written software I think could effectively help with this problem and
make all the various NTU types managable using the same interface, if
anyone's interested :-).

--
Andreux Fort (afort at choqolat.org)