[AusNOG] OT: Regulator rings the changes for telcos, isps - WARNING, POTENTIAL FLAMEBAIT

Curtis Bayne curtis at bayne.com.au
Thu Apr 22 10:11:30 EST 2010

"To me this is no more than the government interfering further in a market it doesn't understand, and won't even bother to try."

This seems to be an ongoing observation about the current government. The sooner these cowboys have left the building the better our industry will be, IMHO. I'm going to don my flame suit for a moment and ruffle a few feathers - get those reply buttons ready to express your distaste!

<opinion>I think the NBN is bullshit. There, I said it out loud. Now that I've ruined any potential employment prospects in the AU telecoms industry henceforth, let's continue. I fail to see why we are attempting to replicate networks which are already being commercially deployed. ISPs are installing infrastructure anywhere and everywhere that is commercially viable, because it is in their (or their shareholders) best interests to do so. This is the nature of capitalism. Capitalism is good, mmkay?

Now lets put our high-school English hats on for a moment and juxtapose some discourses :)

The regional back-haul project is costing a fraction of the NBN and will provide tangible benefits to consumers (with increased speeds and reduced cost) far before a consumer is connected to the NBN network. It enables retail ISPs to install competitive infrastructure in areas which have previously been serviced only by the monopoly provider. This is a good thing.

But we we all know this already - so why are we ignoring it completely? Surely retail ISPs with their own infastructure should be excited by the proposition that they will be capable of deploying infrastructure to areas where there is no competition other than Telstra Wholesale? Am I the ONLY one who thinks that this is the opportunity of the decade? Once this fibre is in, you can begin amortizing your DSLAM investment before NBNCo can even put their last-mile fibre in the ground - there is no way they could ever compete with you!

Perhaps if we spent a few billion dollars building a national, regional back haul network capable of servicing major town/transit routes, we would have a national, regulated carriage duopoly: this would encourage independent providers to begin building their own fibre routes in areas where they have previously been unable to justify expenditure due to a lack of return - especially in places like Maroochydore, Darwin etc. Customers that are outside of these regional centers will end up serviced by independent wireless ISPs - these ISPs now have access to competitive carriage some ~200KM away, which is only a few microwave hops away. Capitalism again: if there's money in it, someone will do it.

As far as I can see, if we pursue this avenue, we will end up with the following outcomes:

1. An easily justifiable return on investment for "BackhaulCo" (our tax dollars do not go to waste!)
2. Delivery of high-speed services to regional areas (fulfilling the goals of NBNCo).
3. Does not sever the investment that current providers have put in their own infrastructure (this will make many providers happy)
4. Will most likely (in time) deliver a FTTP network when a commercial provider deems they are able to amortize their investment (or we'll end up stuck with HFC - either way, we get our 100Mbps to the home)
5. Encourages smaller ISPs in regional areas, creating jobs and bolstering the local economy (and keeps me in business)
6. Only marginally pisses Telstra off (could be considered a disadvantage!)
7. Encourages mobile carriers like Voda/Optus to deploy 3G infastructure in rural areas (more healthy competition in these areas and a kick in the pants for the NextG monopoly).
8. Stops Curtis from making page-long rants on a public mailing list (good for AusNOG in general).
</opinion>

AusNOG - tell my why I'm an idiot and I will happily listen.

Regards,
Curtis