[AusNOG] OT: Regulator rings the changes for telcos, isps

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Thu Apr 22 01:12:51 EST 2010

On 21/04/2010, at 10:41 PM, Sean K. Finn wrote:

Exactly what problem is this fixing? How many rouge network operators or ISP’s even exist here?

Understand that we have a Government who perceives telcos as enemies
who need to be vanquished, and who will use legislation as weaponry to
reach that goal.

They have a picture in their minds about what an ISP/Telco is supposed to
be.  Our industry currently doesn't match that picture, largely because they
don't know what they're doing and they've just made the picture up.  Their
world view says that Telcos are lazy and recalcitrant for making no moves
towards conforming with that picture over the last two decades, and since
we're clearly not going to do it voluntarily they will continue to attack this
industry through regulation until we line up with the picture, or until they're
made to stop for some other reason.

Anyway, it's easy to attack us, because Telcos never fight back.  Free kicks
all 'round.

Fundamentally, they view us as gatekeepers to the network, with a
responsibility to control it.

>From that standpoint, they hold us responsible for our customers making
uneducated decisions against their best interests;  For our customers
breaching copyright;  For our customers viewing websites that offend them;
For our customers running insecure malware-infested systems at home.

In each instance we say, "We try our best to help them, but at the end of
the day we're just conduits, providing internet access. Customers decide
how they use it, we have no control over that."

And, at a very deep level, this Government simply doesn't agree.

  - mark

--
Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au<mailto:newton at internode.com.au> (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:  newton at atdot.dotat.org<mailto:newton at atdot.dotat.org>  (H)