[AusNOG] Quigley announces architectural "stake in the ground"

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Sep 16 18:30:45 EST 2009

Narelle wrote:

> */hot of the press.../*
> Quigley offers ISPs a rough sketch of NBN architecture
> NBN Co has developed a rough architecture for the build-out of the
> National Broadband Network in an attempt to keep ISPs and carriers in
> the loop as to how their services will intersect with it.
> See:
> http://www.itnews.com.au/News/155871,quigley-offers-isps-a-rough-sketch-of-nbn-architecture.aspx/0
>
> It looks like a layer 2 GPON network with ethernet backhaul over
> classical transmission gear, presenting to service providers from
> centralised locations. Each premises will have an ONT with multiple
> ports so there can be physical separation of services. He says this is
> merely a "stake in the ground" and will consult with ISPs.
>
> Thoughts anyone?
Its broadly what we've been putting together as the initial work in the
Comms Alliance workgroups - work in progress
https://commswiki.dgit.biz/index.php/Main_Page. I think it was a diagram
from this work that Quigley put up in the Brisbane briefing yesterday.

TR-144 (http://www.broadband-forum.org/technical/download/TR-144.pdf) is
a fairly heavily leaned upon precedent. There will be a first-run
architectural reference model released for broader comment in a few
weeks I believe.

--
Paul Brooks               |         Mob +61 414 366 605
Layer 10 Advisory         |         Ph  +61 2 9402 7355