[AusNOG] Internode goes Carbon Neutral

Mark Prior mrp at mrp.net
Thu Nov 19 05:50:49 EST 2009

Gaurab Raj Upadhaya wrote:

> The company, which has over 170,000 subscribers Australia-wide, sources
> 100% of its electricity needs from renewable energy, and has molded its
> equipment upgrade purchasing decisions towards energy efficiency and
> sustainability.

While it's nice to see people buying green power what would probably be
nicer is to use less of the damn stuff in the first place.

I think that Apple have a reasonable approach when they say you should
consider the whole process and not just concentrate on a small part of
it (although it's hard to influence what the end consumer does once the
product is in their hands and out of your control). In that context then
reducing the power consumption of the network, data centres, etc is as
important, if not more important, than buying renewable power and then
potentially wasting it through inefficient IT processes. At a recent
LINX meeting Lex Coors of Interxion mentioned that they had UPSes from
two different suppliers and while it was difficult to measure the
efficiency of each they were surprised to discover how inefficient one
manufacturer was compared to another.

Mark.