[AusNOG] Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Mon May 4 16:13:10 EST 2009

lists wrote:

>     Which is why a government NBN will not be able to deliver a
>     commercial return, which leads us to the question is
>     $43,000,000,000 a wise investment to cover 90% of the population
>     of which 68% of the popuation already has access to 12 MB or more.
>     Does enough of the market require semi trailers to go and do the
>     grocery shopping and are they prepared to pay for it, to justify
>     buying everyone a semi trailer to go shopping.

I'm not sure your analogy holds - the $43b is going so much further -
not just building the vehicle, but also building a set of roads so that
everyone can get to their grocery-stores-of-choice without being held to
ransom by the current owner of the only road available at present.

This $43b is doing what no other commercial carrier has found the
wherewithal to do, after 15 years of pro-competition policy - fund a
duplicated customer access network over a very wide scale. And since
most of the cost is in the civil engineering, trench digging or
cable-pulling over overhead poles, there is very little difference in
cost if it is done with new fibre cable compared to new copper cable.

so to torture your analogy futher - if it costs much the same to build a
road suitable for a semi-trailer as it does for a moped, why not build
the road suitable for semi-trailers?

(Paul - amazed that a message held in grey-listing limbo for 3 weeks can
still generate comment).

P.