[AusNOG] That list

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Thu Mar 19 14:18:13 EST 2009

On 19/03/2009, at 1:31 PM, Bevan Slattery wrote:

> Nog’ers,
>
> The previous thread has been deleted and removed from archive.
> Regardless how you feel about what is going on with censorship/
> cleanfeed the law is the law and Wikileaks is now on the banned list.

With all due respect, Bevan:

What law makes it illegal to link to something just because it happens
be on the banned list?

For that matter, what law makes it illegal to repost actual content
which
happens to be on the banned list?

The ACMA's prohibited content list is not a list of illegal content,
it's a list
of content which the ACMA, by legislation, has determined to be
unsuitable
for children.  That's what "prohibited content" means.

I can understand it if you're feeling edgy about maybe running afoul
of a
law you don't understand.  If that's the case, then say that;  there's
no need
to assert that discussing and linking Wikileaks.org has suddenly become
illegal when it manifestly hasn't.  If the ACMA wants you to take it
down
they'll send a link deletion notice.  Until you get one of them, there
is no
basis to assume that discussion, reference and linkage is off-limits.

   - mark

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Pty Ltd                         Desk:   +61-8-82282999