[AusNOG] [LINK] [ISOC-AU-mems] Happy Birthday ... AARNet

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Wed Mar 18 12:03:26 EST 2009

Inside an enduser's home network there's not a workable solution for
coping with dynamically assigned prefixes from a provider.   The
current combination of AutoConf and DHCPv6 combined with what's
mandatory and what's not leads to this - you'll end up with PCs/Macs/
etc being very confused about what prefix to use and no connectivity
at IPv6 level.

The PD features are available at the lowend from Cisco for LNS/LAC
(eg. 72xx/73xx), but not the useful sized boxes necessary to do this
at scale running SB train.

I'm very keen to have a workable, complete solution.  But it's not
there yet despite what people keep claiming.  (If it was all done then
I'd have it all running!)

MMC

On 18/03/2009, at 9:29 AM, Mark Smith wrote:

> Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
>> Not sure about your argument.
>> The main problem is that at the moment that the standards that
>> deliver v6 broadband in a general sense are still all draft and, at
>> the moment, don't quite work together.  (Feel free to tell me I'm
>> wrong, but ONLY if you can actually send me a complete set of
>> receipes to do it as at least one Broadband Forum member has told
>> me it can't be done yet).  The main sticking point is prefix
>> delegation and how that works in an end-user's network.
>
> What is the particular issue? Cisco routers support DHCP based
> prefix delegation, including automatically configuring downstream
> interfaces with the announced /48. It's a solved problem.
>

>> Once this is fixed and people stop having pissing matches about who
>> wins (AutoConf, DHCPv6 etc) we'll be sweet and the CPE vendors can
>> finish their work.
>
> DHCPv6 is considered the most likely deployment model. RAs (i.e.
> AutoConf) are generally considered only to bootstrap basic IPv6
> networking, for any thing else e.g. NTP config, DNS servers, prefix-
> delegation etc. DHCPv6 is considered to be the advanced end-node
> configuration protocol.
>
> There is some lobbying to "bloat" up RAs with these types of
> options, however I think it is probably because people are a bit set
> in their view that if you use DHCPv6 methods it means you have to
> set up a separate server to the router. Of course, DHCP doesn't
> require that, as plenty of ADSL CPE shows.
>
>> (Yes, you can do this in the simple case with static ranges etc,
>> but that doesn't scale and doesn't work for normal people like my
>> parents).
>
> What do you mean by doesn't scale and doesn't work for you parents?
>
>> MMC
>> dasmo wrote:
>>> Seems to me the problem is cash. ISPs won't eat it. Probably need
>>> it  subsidised by the government. Some transit providers still
>>> aren't ipv6  compatible, there's customer equiptment that needs to
>>> be replaced and  there's no authority setting a deadline like the
>>> digital tv system.  Plus, it's hard to explain the benefits to an
>>> end user who will most  likely see the issues now rather than a
>>> solution to an issue from the  future.
>>>
>>> Would be a better use of money than that stupid filter though.

Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 5, 162 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au    Web: http://www.on.net
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909		     Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909