[AusNOG] [ISOC-AU-mems] Happy Birthday ... AARNet

Roger Clarke Roger.Clarke at xamax.com.au
Sat Mar 14 11:06:49 EST 2009

At 19:42 +1100 13/3/09, Narelle wrote:
>I just realised that AARNet turns 20 this year. It seems like yesterday.

Unlike the birth of the Web, which is ambiguous, the statement
'AARNet turns 20 this year' is very difficult to argue about.

But I've only ever nailed down a limited amount of detail:
http://www.rogerclarke.com/II/OzI04.html#8589

"in March 1989, Geoff Huston was transferred from the ANU's payroll
to the AVCC's to work as the Technical Manager for what was called
the Australian Academic & Research Network (AARNet).

"He prepared a financial, technical and business plan, and approval
to proceed was given in about May 1989.

"In May/June 1989, a NASA / University of Hawaii program came to
fruition with a 56Kbps satellite circuit funded by Australian
organisations at the Australian end and by the University of Hawaiii
and NASA at the U.S. end.  [tech quote from Geoff].

"The connection was effected on 23 June 1989 in Robert Elz's
laboratory at the Uni. of Melbourne."

[I followed developments through 1989, keeping my ANU dept (full of
accounting and finance people with zero tech skills) off email until
Geoff assured me in about October 1989 that reliability was "at least
as good as Australia Post".  Those were words my colleagues could
understand ... ]

Congrats to all concerned!!

And please send me any corrections and new info, references, evidence.

                    Tel: +61 2 6288 1472, and 6288 6916

Visiting Professor in Info Science & Eng  Australian National University
Visiting Professor in the eCommerce Program      University of Hong Kong