[AusNOG] Back of envelope II

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Mar 6 15:14:17 EST 2009

And people wonder why I stopped doing server stuff professionally
around a decade ago.

MMC

On 06/03/2009, at 2:38 PM, David Hughes wrote:

> On 06/03/2009, at 12:34 PM, Skeeve Stevens wrote:
>
>> The ONLY solid way that I know to do good server redundancy is with
>> Virtual Platforms that support SAN, Fibre Channel/iSCSI with diverse
>> heads.
>
> And then your SAN storage goes flop and things look bad all over.  And
> anyone familiar with the QA of IBM storage controller firmware will
> know the feeling.
>
> So, add into that a SAN virtualisation layer, like IBM SVC so that you
> have the same data on multiple SANs
>
> And then add in a second datacentre for "real" redundancy.  Naturally,
> you''ll need layer 2 ethernet and fibre channel between those sites.
>
> Then clone yourself so multiple people have exactly the same skill
> set  ;-)
>

> I guess everyone has to pick their point in the "price vs return"
> curve.
>

> David

Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 5, 162 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au    Web: http://www.on.net
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909		     Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909