[AusNOG] US Colo ?

Paul Raj Khangure ausnog at digitaljunkie.net
Fri Jun 12 12:51:02 EST 2009

Thanks for everyone's responses so far.

To elaborate a little, the community organisation is a global one, not
just Australian - hence the requirement to host in the US. West Coast
will be useful for Australia, but the web app won't be latency
sensitive, so anywhere in the US is going to be fine.

I've had quite a few suggestions to look at a VPS system or rent
servers. The organisation is not interested in sharing slices or
virtual hosting, and specifically wants to administer their own
dedicated servers.

Rental is an option, but I've not found anything competitive yet -
they're looking at 2 x quad core CPUs, 2 x SAS HDDs (RAID 1) & 8GB of
RAM per server, and can buy this in the US for about $4k - $4.5k each.

That's about $140US / month each over 3 years for the hardware. Add in
$100 / RU for colo (seems to be about the standard rate?) and we're
looking at $240 US per server, plus any excess bandwidth if it's not
included in the colo costs.

The rental options I've seen so far, are about $300 US per server at a
minimum, often more - hence why we'd previously not considered it as
viable. Happy to revisit if there are specific recommendations for
facilities which are cost effective.

prk