[AusNOG] Optus Abuse Contact

Trent Lloyd lathiat at bur.st
Fri Jul 17 15:35:58 EST 2009

This obviously wont work for everything (i.e. web where people might
connect more than 10x in 60 seconds), but to stop SSH, etc brute force
attackers I use the following iptables based method:

# Block SSH attackers, e.g. drop any connections of more than 10 in 60
seconds to SSH
$IPT -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --set --
name SSH
$IPT -A INPUT -p tcp --dport 22 -m state --state NEW -m recent --
update --seconds 60 --hitcount 10 --rttl --name SSH -j DROP

- Trent