[AusNOG] Carrier Independent Peering Exchange

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Wed Dec 16 16:32:47 EST 2009

Allan,
I feel that the peering points need to be member owned (eg. like WAIX, LINX, AMS-IX) - ie.  costs relate to actual costs to provide the service - tolling the packets as they pass is a plan fraught with issues.   AMS-IX has support for non-IP Peering traffic (eg. see the GRX services).

The issues I feel in a lot of places are about locations for the switches and the connectivity between locations.

Brisbane, Melbourne, Adelaide, Hobart probably have questions about where is suitable as currently the local PIPE colocation facility is an issue.

I feel it's still time to wait and see.   I'm still hopeful that PIPE peering fabric won't disappear.   But I think it may take a bit of time.   AUSNOG04 (plug plug) might be a good idea for the industry to discuss and work out a plan going forward.

MMC

On 16/12/2009, at 3:43 PM, Allan Dib wrote:

> Hi Folks,
>
> I've watched the consolidation in this industry over the past year or so and I haven't been very concerned about it up until the Pipe/TPG announcement. Looking at the comments on this list, it is clear I am not alone in my concern about the imminent loss of the industry's carrier independent peering service.
>
> This has got me thinking (more than usual!) over the past month or so. Apart from the obvious need for a new player to provide Internet peering what would really bring real value great value to all in the industry?
>
> After a lot of thought and some discussion with industry peers the answer that kept coming back to me is: A layer 2 (Ethernet) peering exchange
>
> Why layer 2 you ask rather than just replicating Pipe's existing peering service? I'm glad you asked! :-)
>
> 1. We want the ability to peer not just public Internet traffic but also private traffic. (e.g. voice interconnects or other privately addressed RFC1918 traffic)
>
> 2. We want to create an Australian marketplace where you can connect to a single independent peering exchange and get access to IP transit, voice and Ethernet services from any number of carriers that would offer their services via this peering exchange. One link that would give you access to multiple (ideally all) carriers and multiple services.
>
> My "back of envelope" plan for this kind of peering exchange is as follows:
>
> Peering exchanges would be located in each capital city at carrier independent facilities
> The costs of connecting into the peering facility would be borne by each client
> The cost of joining the peering facility would be a membership fee depending on the port speed (100Mbps / 1Gbps / 10Gbps etc)
> The peering exchange might also take a very small percentage of the fees charged by carriers offering their voice, IP transit or Ethernet services via the exchange (e.g. like an eBay listing fee)
> The peering exchange would be run by a carrier independent private company
>
> I'd be very interested in your feedback on such as project. I'd also be looking for any expressions of interest in:
>
> Carriers interested in offering their IP transit, voice and Ethernet services via this exchange
> ISP's, VoIP providers, corporates etc. interested in joining the exchange as members
> Anyone interested in investing capital to get such a project off the ground quickly
>
> Any feedback would be very greatly appreciated. Feel free to email interest or feedback to me off-list.
>
> All the best!
>

> Allan Dib
> Voxcom
>
> Telephone: 1300 VOXCOM (1300 869 266)
> Fax: 1300 VOXFAX (1300 869 329)
> Direct: 03 8640 1301
> Email: allan.dib at voxcom.com.au
> Web: http://www.voxcom.com.au
>
> <voxcom.jpg>

Matthew Moyle-Croft
Peering Manager and Team Lead - Commercial and DSLAMs
Internode /Agile
Level 5, 162 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au    Web: http://www.on.net
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909		     Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909