[AusNOG] Carrier Independent Peering Exchange

Allan Dib allan.dib at voxcom.com.au
Wed Dec 16 16:13:31 EST 2009

Hi Folks,

I've watched the consolidation in this industry over the past year or
so and I haven't been very concerned about it up until the Pipe/TPG
announcement. Looking at the comments on this list, it is clear I am
not alone in my concern about the imminent loss of the industry's
carrier independent peering service.

This has got me thinking (more than usual!) over the past month or so.
Apart from the obvious need for a new player to provide Internet
peering what would really bring real value great value to all in the
industry?

After a lot of thought and some discussion with industry peers the
answer that kept coming back to me is: A layer 2 (Ethernet) peering
exchange

Why layer 2 you ask rather than just replicating Pipe's existing
peering service? I'm glad you asked! :-)

1. We want the ability to peer not just public Internet traffic but
also private traffic. (e.g. voice interconnects or other privately
addressed RFC1918 traffic)

2. We want to create an Australian marketplace where you can connect
to a single independent peering exchange and get access to IP transit,
voice and Ethernet services from any number of carriers that would
offer their services via this peering exchange. One link that would
give you access to multiple (ideally all) carriers and multiple
services.

My "back of envelope" plan for this kind of peering exchange is as
follows:

Peering exchanges would be located in each capital city at carrier
independent facilities
The costs of connecting into the peering facility would be borne by
each client
The cost of joining the peering facility would be a membership fee
depending on the port speed (100Mbps / 1Gbps / 10Gbps etc)
The peering exchange might also take a very small percentage of the
fees charged by carriers offering their voice, IP transit or Ethernet
services via the exchange (e.g. like an eBay listing fee)
The peering exchange would be run by a carrier independent private
company

I'd be very interested in your feedback on such as project. I'd also
be looking for any expressions of interest in:

Carriers interested in offering their IP transit, voice and Ethernet
services via this exchange
ISP's, VoIP providers, corporates etc. interested in joining the
exchange as members
Anyone interested in investing capital to get such a project off the
ground quickly

Any feedback would be very greatly appreciated. Feel free to email
interest or feedback to me off-list.

All the best!

Allan Dib
Voxcom