[AusNOG] What is more important? - ipv4 vs. routing table size

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Aug 7 09:40:55 EST 2009

Skeeve Stevens wrote:

> There are smaller hosting companies out there (here in ANZ at least)
> that want to be on, hosting, multi-homed, but only need a /24 or /23,
> but they're given the minimum allocation on a /22 -- whether they need
> it or not.

A /22 is the same routing effort as a /24.   So given that most are
unlikely to need much more than a /23 I don't think it'll make a
difference to the routing table size.

In terms of using IPv4 up - given that I'm seeing ISPs with eyeballs
being allocated large slabs of space (and I mean many multiples of /16s)
the impact small hosting companies companies have as /22s or /24s is
pretty trivial I'd expect.

Look at the CIDR reports - have a look at the aggregation possible with
some ISPs - clearly a few /24s vs /22s makes little difference in a
world where even a small bit of aggregation by the top 10 deagg people
would reduce the routing table size quite a bit.

MMC