[AusNOG] ALERT: Aust Govt will build National Broadband Network, no company will be awarded the tender.

Tony td_miles at yahoo.com
Wed Apr 8 07:20:58 EST 2009

It all depends whether you want to be optimistic or pessimistic about it.

Uptake is an issue, but on the subject of price I don't think the final figures you've quoted are unreasonable ($80-$100 per month).

If you look at Internode's current FTTH offering as an example:
http://www.internode.on.net/pdf/products/home-fibre-pricelist.pdf

The base plan (25/1Mbps, with 5GB quota) is $50pm. I believe this includes NodePhone (SIP phone service), but if you want a traditional PSTN interface, that is an extra $25pm. That's a total of $75 per month.

If you want to really start playing with figures, you can factor in inflation. If the debt is taken out in todays money, but repaid in the future it works to your advantage. $75 today at 3% inflation is $95 in 8 years time when it's finished. If you extrapolate that to your 40 year payoff period (48 years from now, allowing 8 years to build), then it becomes $310 per month. As long as you pay the interest only on the debt, the debt doesn't increase.

regards,
Tony.

(If I've got any of my figures wrong, feel free to correct me, it is early)