[AusNOG] Write up - Big ISP, little ISP, local internet exchanges

Edwin Groothuis edwin at mavetju.org
Tue Sep 9 08:22:00 EST 2008

On Mon, Sep 08, 2008 at 02:01:11PM +0930, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:
> So, this design sounds like it wasn't for an Internet transit network,
> but an intranet?  ie. where global connectivity isn't necessarily
> needed?  In our world where we're providing full internet access I'm
> still not quite understanding how you do the filtering in this extra
> layer of complexity which you couldn't do in a traditional "single
> cloud" model.
>
> Can you give a specific example of using this model to stop this issue
> in an Internet transit network?

The example was for the question on "Have you actually used your
complex multiple ASes and IP-IP tunnels in practice?", it wasn't
on "have you used this model to stop this issue in an Internet
transit network?".

The be short, the answer is no. The issue of "funny routing for my
own profit" (aka "stealing bandwidth via peering") did come up while
I was in my former job (at a little ISP), but I didn't come up with
a "solution" for it until I left. Up to now people only say that
it is a tricky implementation (which it is), but nobody who has
said that the approach wasn't going to work.

I hope that I can use push for this approach by a next employer,
if they do transmit of third party traffic, if that ever comes
around the corner.

Edwin
--
Edwin Groothuis      |            Personal website: http://www.mavetju.org