[AusNOG] dial-up modem with 48v DC power option?

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Sep 5 11:53:19 EST 2008

Chris,
Buying modems for OOB management is getting harder and harder.

The only solution I found was: http://www.industrial-grade-modem.com/
- they work out at less than $700 (or at least they do for me).
They're suitable for use in Australia and seem to work reliably.

Our experience is that if you're doing OOB, then it's the method of
last resort before driving/flying to the equipment so spending a bit
extra is worth while.   Ditto for power equipment.

MMC

On 05/09/2008, at 11:11 AM, Chris Pollock wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I have an application for some dial-up modems for out of band
> management but the only power available is 48v DC.  Does anyone have
> a line on any reasonably priced serial dial-up modems, or perhaps a
> dc/dc converter or what have you that would let them run off 48vDC?
> The ones I’ve found have all been industrial-strength hardened type
> stuff and clocking in at $700+ which is just not practical.
>
> Any ideas?  On or off list replies are welcome.
>
> Thanks,
> --
> Chris Pollock,
> Network Manager,
> Demand Broadband.
> e. chris at demand.com.au
> p. 1300 767 445
> f. 1300 767 556
> m. 0410 747 765
> skype. christopherpollock

Matthew Moyle-Croft Internode/Agile Peering and Core Networks
Level 4, 150 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia
Email: mmc at internode.com.au    Web: http://www.on.net
Direct: +61-8-8228-2909		     Mobile: +61-419-900-366
Reception: +61-8-8228-2999        Fax: +61-8-8235-6909