[AusNOG] Conroy censoring dissent?

Paul Foote pfoote at gmail.com
Wed Nov 12 11:17:04 EST 2008

Does anybody have any information on what the government is classifying as
an "ISP" for this mess? Will Data Centre's offering transit to customers
have to participate in the filtering? What about DC's supplying
Ethernet/Fiber to nearby businesses only? Will multiple levels of occur?
(ISP filters for their customers, transit provider filters for them)

> The hush-hushness and the deception of the whole scheme is what has me
> > ultimately so worried, nothing has been upfront about it from day one
> > Conroys has lied to everyone, I don't know about the rest of you but i
> feel
> > im left with a large "I don't trust you guys" feeling.

Ditto. One of my main concerns is if this all goes ahead, it will be a catch
22 for locating illegal/immoral content. If the block list prevents access
to specific sites and it is made public: the list would be a practical guide
to "bad things to look at". On the other hand: if the list contains specific
sites, but isnt availible to the public (much like the current usenet group
blocks:
http://www.internode.on.net/residential/tech_space/usenet/#Are_there_any_newsgroups_you_blo)
then we will be suffering a huge loss of freedom of information. Who
will
police this? *insert comunist conspiracy theory here*

Paul