[AusNOG] IP KVM

Shaun Ewing s.ewing at aussiehq.com.au
Tue Jun 24 17:44:17 EST 2008

We use 16 port ATEN KVM over IP units for our legacy equipment (ie: servers that don't have remote management cards). They're 1U.

They're about $1600 which works out to be $100 per port, which is quite reasonable. They only support one simultaneous user, but do support multiple logins, so if a customer needs to rent KVM access for 'x' hours you can give them a login that only works for their port.

There's also an 8 port version, but it's only a few hundred cheaper so if you think you may go beyond 8 ports then you're much better off going for 16 ports from the get go.

There's a Java client (that works fine under Linux and OS X), as well as a Windows client. You can also use the unit as a local KVM.

-Shaun