[AusNOG] IPv4 Exhaustion, APNIC EC, and James is a nice bloke ; -)

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Mon Jul 21 09:19:12 EST 2008

On 21/07/2008, at 7:42 AM, Jason Sinclair wrote:

> But the bigger question or perhaps issue is one of attitude (ie
> consumerism). I am not confident the answer is solely releasing a
> truck
> load of addresses - exponential use will just increase and while all
> the
> estimates of use of IPv6 suggest we will all be in networking heaven
> when it does run out, there is a part of me that reckons we will be
> having a similar debate in say 20 years

My money's more on 30 years.  Which is good, because I'll still
be young enough to come out of retirement and make out like a bandit
as a migration consultant, just like the COBOL programmers did before
y2k :-)

   - mark

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82282999