[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules for age-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th of january 2008

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Fri Jan 4 12:47:21 EST 2008

David J. Hughes wrote:
> On 04/01/2008, at 9:59 AM, Mark Newton wrote:
>

>>> Put filtered users in one VRF and dirty pr0n sucking users in another
>>> VRF :)  Don't show your peering routes to the family friendly folk.
>>> Not a major problem there.
>>>
>> Why would routes be different based on a customer's censorship
>> preferences?
>>

> Because for "clean" customers you only want to use paths you learn
> via your Clean Transit Providers and not your dirty peering connections.

My point to Bevan was that the company I work for isn't in a position to
buy in a "clean feed" - we buy NO international transit in Oz and we
have no intention of doing so to solve the government's political agenda.

So, we'd need to do it ourselves - which would mean a high upfront cost
and added network complexity.

> Yeah - I'll try again.  Filtering HTTP delivered content is possible
> but damn expensive.  For everything else (torrents, ftp, irc, posted
> CD-ROM) all bets are off.

We've started running IPv6 native.   Wonder if anyone's made an
appliance for doing that?

MMC

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft - Internode/Agile - Networks
Level 3, 132 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia

      "The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping from the old ones" - John Maynard Keynes