[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules for age-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th of january 2008

Mark Newton newton at internode.com.au
Fri Jan 4 10:59:37 EST 2008

On 04/01/2008, at 10:15 AM, David J. Hughes wrote:

>> - We'd still need to invest as it wouldn't GUARANTEE that all the
>> peering routes we see are clean
>
> Put filtered users in one VRF and dirty pr0n sucking users in another
> VRF :)  Don't show your peering routes to the family friendly folk.
> Not a major problem there.

Why would routes be different based on a customer's censorship
preferences?

> Content filtering is possible but it sure isn't cheap.  We do it for
> the 1300 state operated schools in Qld and that alone has a
> significant cost.  Trying to do it for a large network of broadband
> connected end users would be problematic at best.  And that's HTTP
> only - P2P classification and filtering is totally another kettle of
> fish.

That last (critically important) qualification turns your paragraph
into:

  "Content filtering is possible but it sure isn't cheap.  Or possible."

:-)

   - mark

Mark Newton                               Email:  newton at internode.com.au
  (W)
Network Engineer                          Email:
newton at atdot.dotat.org  (H)
Internode Systems Pty Ltd                 Desk:   +61-8-82282999