[AusNOG] Happy new year / New rules for age-restricted internetand mobile content after the 20th of january 2008

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Fri Jan 4 10:45:26 EST 2008

On 02/01/2008, at 1:19 PM, Matthew Moyle-Croft wrote:

>  From my point of view:
>
> - I'll bet it's not the same price

Naturally it would have to be at a higher price point.

> - We'd still need to invest as it wouldn't GUARANTEE that all the
> peering routes we see are clean

Put filtered users in one VRF and dirty pr0n sucking users in another
VRF :)  Don't show your peering routes to the family friendly folk.
Not a major problem there.

> - So we'd need to pay more for transit, get rid of our peering and
> international network

Nope, you'd need to maintain both.  That's the killer.  All this
stuff would be in addition to your current infrastructure.

Content filtering is possible but it sure isn't cheap.  We do it for
the 1300 state operated schools in Qld and that alone has a
significant cost.  Trying to do it for a large network of broadband
connected end users would be problematic at best.  And that's HTTP
only - P2P classification and filtering is totally another kettle of
fish.

Thanks

David