[AusNOG] Filtering article...

Matthew Moyle-Croft mmc at internode.com.au
Thu Jan 3 14:37:50 EST 2008

Bevan Slattery wrote:

> And another:
>

> http://www.smh.com.au/news/web/labor-warned-on-porn-filters/2008/01/02/1198949855875.html
>

> "Labor makes no apologies to those who argue that any regulation of
> the internet is like going down the Chinese road," Mr Conroy said
> yesterday. "If people equate freedom of speech with watching child
> pornography, then the Rudd Labor Government is going to disagree."
>

> I have to say that in all my years of surfing the net I have never
> 'stumbled' across child pornography.  I don't know where the good
> Minister is lurking, however he must be in places and/or private
> networks which I have no desire to gain access to, and/or have been
> unable to 'stumble' upon.

And here's where the argument gets a tad confused:    Preventing access
to child porn doesn't seem to be an act trying to prevent children
getting access to porn (deliberately or accidentally) but about adults
who are trying to access content which is illegal.  But originally it
was about "protecting the children" from seeing porn.

Plus I concur with Bevan:

> This whole argument is pure fantasy.  If the fed gov becomes aware of
> child porn their going to 'filter it' rather than report it to the
> relevant authority in the relevant country and have it investigated
> and removed?  The reality is that child porn is not generally
> available on the net and those that seek it do so via their secret
> little 'wonderland' clubs and exchange this content privately.

So, what is the government really WANTING to do?    (I'm not trying to
imply conspiracy just a lack of clue).

The reality is:

A determined kid/teenager will find a way to locate and view porn
nothing will stop them.  (Same applies to adults looking for illegal
content).
Applying moral standards to your childs internet service to prevent
accidental viewing (esp for the very young) is best done on your PC and
doesn't absolve someone of being a good parent and supervising their kids.

MMC

--
Matthew Moyle-Croft - Internode/Agile - Networks
Level 3, 132 Grenfell Street, Adelaide, SA 5000 Australia

      "The difficulty lies, not in the new ideas, but in escaping from the old ones" - John Maynard Keynes