[AusNOG] APNIC Executive Council Election

David J. Hughes bambi at Hughes.com.au
Sat Feb 16 11:12:07 EST 2008

[ This message is being sent to several mailing lists and many
individuals.  I apologise if you receive duplicates ]

Hi

The voting for the APNIC Executive Council has started and, as many
of you already know, I've nominated for a position on the EC.  I
think it's a critical time for us to have representation from an
Australian service provider on the EC - something we haven't had
since 2003.  I hope that I can count on your support.

There are 2 options for voting in this election :

	1. Online via MyAPNIC (as long as you have an APNIC digital
certificate)
	2. Via a proxy vote.

The online process is quite arduous at best and has proven to be
unreliable from my experience.  If you don't already have an APNIC
cert then in all honesty the old fashioned, paper based solution is
far easier.

To facilitate proxy voting, James Spenceley of Vocus Communications
has offered to present all proxy votes at the APNIC meeting in
Taipei.  Attached to this email is the proxy voting paperwork, pre-
completed with James' details.  If you would like to support my
election to the EC could you please complete the form and either scan/
email it back to me or fax it to 07 3319 6058.

For the proxy form to be valid it must include the number of votes.
Your voting rights are linked to the size of your membership  (small,
large etc etc).  If you are at all unsure of the size of your
membership you can verify the details at the link below :

Australia
	http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/memlist.pl?size=&cc=au&sort=ascending

New Zealand
	http://www.apnic.net/apnic-bin/memlist.pl?size=&cc=nz&sort=ascending

Details about the number of votes available to each size of
membership is show at the link below

	http://www.apnic.net/docs/corpdocs/member-fee-schedule.html

Historically, the participation rate in the EC elections from
Australian members has been very low.  It's very important for you
guys to participate in this process if we are going to have any
chance of electing representation from our industry.  Having the
support of the Tier-1 telco's and national ISPs is fantastic but it's
not enough to counter the voting blocks from Asia and the sub-
continent.  We need all the members, including those that don't
usually participate, to cast their votes.  I hope that by organising
this proxy I've simplified the process so that we have a good chance
of getting the numbers required.

If you have any questions please don't hesitate to contact me.

Thanks

David