[AusNOG] The Elephant in the Room

Lists technical at halenet.com.au
Wed Oct 31 18:28:56 EST 2007

Thanks Bevan,  you are absolutely on the mark, the problem we have is that
we need to get this message delivered to the public in a manner that they
can understand

Does anyone on the list have any contacts in the media that can try and put
this message over to the public. ?

It is a shame all we see on current afffairs programs, is all the
sensational rubbish and all the latest quick fixes for loosing Kgs

Is there any way we can put this message into something that the general
public would understand.   It is fine on the list and I guess everyone on
the list would understand it inside out.  The problem is we need to put it
into such a form that the public can understand it.

I actually invited Stephen conroy and some other senators to come to where I
am so that I could not only explain some of technologies for them but show
them the different tecnologies in operation including,,   a 5.8 Ghz Wimax
deployment (which I could demonstrate will not do what Opel are claiming,
DSL technologies,  and fibre to the home in a rural deployment.  The purpose
of explaining the difference between fibre to the node and fibre to the home
was so that they could see the folly of all the political annnouncements
regarding fibre to the node in rural areas.  It is a bit expensive to
install a node for 3 to 5 customers and it won't happen.    I didn't get a
reply from conroy and the other 2 were to busy.  Busy speaking bullshit
about how they had fixed broadband to the bush.

The only way we as an industry are going to get any traction here is to get
the media onside and apply media presure.  The pollies dont care,  they just
want to get votes.

I suggested to some pollies that in order to get action on addressing the
communications infrastructure and competition issues in Australia that the
government needs to meet with all the carriers in the industry in the same
fashion as Radcomms which the ACMA now does.  They need to put to the
industry where they want to get to and seek open and frank discussion in an
open forum of carriers, where all the issues could be put on the table and
debated.  They then need to determine what they want and let the industry
provide what they can commercially and subsidise deployments in other areas
to achieve Australia wide parity.  What I should have said was that they
need to sideline the DCITA incompetent clowns in the process.  I make this
statement in regards to the way a consulantcy contract was tendered this
year to develop guidelines for the deployment of communications in
greenfield estates.  The consultancy was let and the consulant didn't
contact all the carriers to find out what the carriers thought, nor did they
contact all the local government councils. I would have thought that the
carriers and the councils would have been regarded as the major
stakeholders.  For a consultant to not involve the major stakeholders leaves
questions to be answered.  Unfortuneately this folly is repeated time and
time again.

Regards

Tim