[AusNOG] FW: [CAnet - news] Charging content providers is nowhappening

Stephen Baxter steve at staff.pipenetworks.com
Wed Jan 18 10:03:42 EST 2006

When I attended NANOG last year this attitude was the real under current
of many conversations. US carriers seem to have a real 'cake and eat it'
attitude to their customers.

I wonder what would happen the day that a large carrier with a few
million eyes decides to reprioritise Google over MSN ?

For all the carry on the real issue here is voice revenue (not Video and
bandwidth hogs) so carriers with large voice revenues can deter its
customers from using a competitor in favour of its own services. I do
not see a carrier saying that a user *must* use their mail servers (a
non revenue generating service) otherwise suffer degraded services. [not
a great example due to the non time sensitive nature of email]

Cheers,

SB