[AusNOG] Mobile Data Capacity - Where's the bottleneck?

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Mon Mar 23 14:36:40 EST 2020

It's complicated

Ignoring channel aggregation (CA), the maximum amount of spectrum available
to an LTE endpoint is 20Mhz, which is shared with everyone in the same
sector. The amount of spectrum might be as small as 1.5Mhz

If you have say an iPhone X with 2x2 MIMO, and can stand close enough to
the base station to achieve 2 spatial streams with 256 QAM modulation, then
perhaps you can get 150-170 Mbps of total throughput. The base station
might have 3 sectors each with 4 bands, which could easily overwhelm a
1Gbps backhaul with 12 of these ideal iPhone users.

But in reality, if you share that spectrum with just 1 long distance
handset who can only achieve a single spatial stream at QPSK modulation
then perhaps they will get 5mbps of bandwidth, and cut your iPhone's speed
to half. So now a gigabit backhaul is more than adequate even though the
number of users has doubled.

Add in an inverse square law to the distance a handset is from the tower,
and it's also apparent that the majority of users will be the "long
distance" type.

Telcos need to get an average of about 200 users on a sector to break even
on building and operating the tower, each of them contending for the same
spectrum.

Now imagine each of those 200 users with no data cap to regulate their
usage and you can quickly see how it can come undone due to sharing of
spectrum.

Then consider that the spectrum can't simply be re-used at each site - or
it will interfere with an adjacent site. It's an art and a science to
design physical networks that manage this interference across cities.

John