[AusNOG] NBN - Intermittent latency spikes in Padstow, NSW

Rhys Hanrahan rhys at nexusone.com.au
Fri Aug 7 11:26:28 EST 2020

Hi Everyone,

I just wanted to check and see if anyone else is seeing issues with NBN in/near Bryant St, Padstow NSW. Replies off-list is fine. I'm hoping someone else is seeing similar issues so I can prove there is something bigger going on than a single customer issue. We've had some anecdotal reports from neighbours of similar issues, but nothing official and no outage listings.

We have a customer with an FTTC service that started seeing huge latency spikes around midday Tuesday. We are seeing latency spikes of up to 500 - 1200+ms every few ICMP packets, sometimes every 20-30 packets. The service is L2 AAPT NWB, and the latency issue is only on the last hop between our LNS and the customer's CPE.

This is wreaking havoc with their VOIP call quality. I am thinking due to out of order packets as audio is cutting in and out, and they're also reporting intermittent slow internet. We've done all the usual swapping of CPEs, checking for congestion, etc. NBNCo are not admitting there is an issue, and working with AAPT to prove there is an issue is proving impossible. We finally got them to admit they see the latency spike yesterday, but this morning said this is a best effort service and this is normal, so there's nothing they can do. This is not a new service and has been working fine for a couple of months.

Hoping I can prove this is a broader issue so we can start getting some traction on the fault.

Thanks!

Rhys Hanrahan
Chief Information Officer
Nexus One Pty Ltd

E: support at nexusone.com.au<mailto:support at nexusone.com.au>
P: +61 2 9191 0606
W: http://www.nexusone.com.au/
M: PO Box A356 Sydney South, NSW 1235
A: Suite 12.03, Level 12, 227 Elizabeth Street, Sydney NSW 2000

[http://quintus.nexusone.com.au/~rhys/nexus1-email-sig.jpg]
The information in this email and or any of the attachments may contain; a. Confidential information of Fusion Technology Solutions Pty Ltd, Nexus One Pty Ltd, or third parties; and or b. Legally privileged information of Fusion Technology Solutions Pty Ltd, Nexus One Pty Ltd, or third parties; and or c. Copyright material Fusion Technology Solutions Pty Ltd, Nexus One Pty Ltd or third parties.
If you are not an authorised recipient of this email, please contact the sender immediately by return email or by telephone on 02 91910600 and delete the email from your system.
We do not accept any liability in connection with any computer virus, data corruption, interruption or any damage generally as a result of transmission of this email.