[AusNOG] Guest SSID tap to join devices

John Edwards jaedwards at gmail.com
Thu Apr 23 10:17:59 EST 2020

Hi Qui,

The device you've mentioned appears to use the NFC "Connection Handover"
feature, more info here:
http://nfc-forum.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/ConnectionHandoverUserExperience-White-Paper-Sept14F1.pdf

You don't need a special device to do this, just programmable NFC tags.

This requires IOS 13 or a reasonably good Android phone - if you're only
targeting newer devices then also have a look at WiFi Passpoint AKA Hotspot
2.0. This might give you the additional wireless security I assume that you
seek without sharing the same key with all guest devices or requiring a
near-field tap. Plus you get a cool extra label on the SSID select dialogue
that makes your WiFi network stand out. The downside is that the Cisco
RADIUS config required for Hotspot 2.0 is not widely documented and not for
beginners.

Sharing a key means that anyone with that key can sniff and decrypt the
traffic, in an environment where guests might think they're secure and take
fewer precautions than they would on an open WiFi network.

John