[AusNOG] Risks to country and business infrastructure

Chad Kelly chad at cpkws.com.au
Wed Sep 11 12:26:33 EST 2019

On 9/11/2019 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:

> When someone questions whether this-or-that was predicted, this seems most
> likely to indicate either the plausibility of the threat, or which side of
> a closed door the questioner was on when the discussions were held.

I'd worry less about people placing explosives in servers and more about
making sure that proper checks are in place for the people with access
to information.

AWS is a good example of this, they really need to lift their game.

Stuff like the Capital One incident just shouldn't happen and as a
result of that I am not recommending AWS to any of our customers.

That isn't the only reason, but the fact Capital One are still with AWS
after that incident scares me a little, if I was them I would of dumped
them as a vendor immediately.

Basically Datacentres and network operators need to force all staff to
undergo regular checks particularly when dealing with sensitive info.

I also am aware that the Capital One case isn't Australian, but it is
still a good example of why providers need to keep an eye on who has
access to certain info.

--
Chad Kelly
Manager