[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Nov 28 16:48:21 EST 2018

On 28/11/2018 3:42 pm, Paul Wilkins wrote:

> I'm less concerned that the State may ask a judge for a computer warrant, than I am
> the Attorney General issuing TCNs to access carrier metadata datastreams and using
> that for mass surveillance, or law enforcement then forcing patches on service
> providers for my phone/television to enable the mike and camera's for surveillance
> because I've triggered some kind of Minority Report scenario, because, you know,
> they're doing their job and in the AG's opinion it's reasonable.

Much as I hate to defend something that is indefensible on other grounds, part of this
particular concern seems to be already protected.

See Sect 317(T) (the bit regarding TCNs)

Part (10):

'A technical capability notice has no effect to the extent (if any) to which it
requires a designated communications provider to keep, or cause to be kept:
          (a)    information of a kind specified in or under section 187AA of the
Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979;  or
         (b)    documents containing information of that kind;
relating to any communication carried by means of a service to which Part 5 1A of the
Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979 applies.
Note:    Part 5 1A of the Telecommunications (Interception and Access) Act 1979 deals
with data retention.'

In other words - they can't issue a TCN to keep more metadata. Or to be sent a stream
of metadata.

Also Part (2):

'The specified acts or things must:
        (a)  be directed towards ensuring that the designated communications provider
*is capable* of giving listed help to ASIO, or an interception agency, in relation to:
                   (i)    the performance of a function, or the exercise of a power,
conferred by or under a law of the Commonwealth, a State or a Territory, so far as the
function or power relates to a relevant objective; or
                   (ii)    a matter that facilitates, or is ancillary or incidental
to, a matter covered by subparagraph (i); or
       (b)    be by way of giving help to ASIO, or an interception agency, in relation to:
                   (i)    the performance of a function, or the exercise of a power,
conferred by or under a law of the Commonwealth, a State or a Territory, so far as the
function or power relates to a relevant objective; or
                   (ii)    a matter that facilitates, or is ancillary or incidental
to, a matter covered by subparagraph (i).

'

In other words - they can ask you to do something to make sure you are *capable* of
giving help under some other law. But you don't have to actually do the thing under
that other law to satisfy the TCN, they'll issue you a separate warrant or request to
actively use that capability, under that other law, if they need you to actively use
it in practice.

The TCN is to require you to make sure you have an easily undoable buckle on your
belt, in case they have to ask you to bend over under another law, and to ensure you
can't reply 'Sorry, I cant do that' when they do ask you to bend over under that other
law. But they can't ask you to actually bend over in the TCN itself.

Of course, this all relies on them not asking, or if they do, on the recipient of the
notice having enough knowledge of the law to respond 'under Sect (XXX) you can't do
that'. Which is where additional independent judiciary scrutiny of a request before it
is issued is required.

Paul.

P.