[AusNOG] $300 NBN Connection Fee for FTTP?

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Thu Mar 22 13:16:20 EST 2018

On 22/03/2018 1:02 PM, Chad Kelly wrote:
> On 3/22/2018 12:00 PM, ausnog-request at lists.ausnog.net wrote:
>
>> ??
>> My daughter is looking to buy a vacant block
>> of land in Foster Victoria and build a house on it. Foster is pretty
>> strange in that large parts of the town seem to be on NBN Fixed Wireless
>> and other parts on FTTN, but if she builds a new house I understand,
>> according to the NBN website, that FTTP is the preferred technology to
>> build. It would seem pretty dumb to lay new copper in order to provide FTTN
>> when my daughter will probably not want a landline phone.
>> It would be cheaper to just say 'connect via fixed wireless' but looking at
>> Street View it looks like the fixed wireless tower is hidden behind trees.
>> Is this what is likely to happen, that NBN Co run a dedicated fibre from
>> the closest node to the new house?
>> Any tips appreciated.
> You don't get a landline phone anymore even on FTTN, its all Voip, unless you go
> with Fixed Wireless and even then some of the cheap and cheerful residential ISP's
> will still flog you a Voip Based phone as its bundled in with most plans.
> So if they want to keep the landline FTTN isn't a viable option as that service gets
> cut off.

We need to get used to the new reality - the new phone service through the NBN is
still a 'landline phone' - it just doesn't use the analogue protocol any more, it uses
IP telephony, and the handset plugs into the analogue phone port on the modem rather
than a socket on the wall. But its still a 'standard telephone service' landline phone
service as far as the customer is concerned, using the TC1 AVC to keep it prioritised
in the face of congestion of the TC4 data stream - which is what makes it different
from a third-party VoIP service running through the TC4 best-efforts datastream ("over
the Internet") to an external VoIP gateway.

Paul.