[AusNOG] Technology Migration Program Experience

Michael J. Carmody michael at opusv.com.au
Mon Mar 19 23:42:15 EST 2018

So this has been fun.

Got FTTN at my house, and been happy for the most part, but introduced noise on my line (presumable from legacy ADSL? Only a 150m long cable run) has my stability pretty poor for non-trivial and defined periods.

So I signed up for the TMP, and after 3 months, 8 emails, and 2 phone calls,  finally got an invoice to pay the $660 quoting fee. It's almost like they don't want you to have this option.

I paid this fee and a month later get a quote for $9150 to upgrade from FTTN to FTTP. 30 days to accept, sign on the dotted line please.

This was a little higher than expected as I would have gritted my teeth and bore it for around $5K.

I am still tempted to bite the bullet as a capital improvement charge to the house, as the utter dead end that FTTN is leaves me presumably like this for the next decade+ ?
(also seeing 250Mbps plans with 100Mbps upload on FTTP already shows that FTTP is already outstripping every other tech on the MTM...)

So assembled centuries of wisdom of AUSNOG, what would you do?

Kind Regards,
Michael Carmody
Solution Architect

 [OpusV_logo_emails]
11 Evans Street, Burwood, Vic 3125
Tel: +61 3 8060 4441 Fax: +61 3 9015 6438