[AusNOG] Issues receiving from TPG Mail servers.

Scott Howard scott at doc.net.au
Tue Jul 24 13:59:21 EST 2018

My take would be that for a general service provider, like TPG, you should
be as accepting as possible. That would including accepting clear text and
TLS 1.0 (although possibly not SSLv3).  Any specific sender or recipient
can enforce stronger limitations if they choose to do so.

For a provider that has any focus on security it's potentially a different
story. In that case enforcing TLS1.2 potentially makes sense, although it
the raises the question around what you do with servers that don't support
TLS at all, or like TPG at the moment, don't support TLS higher than 1.0
(is cleartext better than TLS1.0?)

Then there's the elephant in the room when it comes to SMTP around
certificate verification, and if/how you determine your talking to the
correct mail server (at which point you have to move the conversation over
to things like DNSSEC)

  Scott