[AusNOG] Issues receiving from TPG Mail servers.

Bradley Silverman bsilverman at staff.ventraip.com
Tue Jul 24 14:45:57 EST 2018

I think I am still doing a poor job of explaining the scenario clearly,
which is making everyone go off track with this.

We can receive emails from MTAs and the like, without any authentication,
without TLS. That is perfectly fine and PCI compliant.
IF authentication is required (like users sending email with us as
*their* outgoing
server), then TLSv1.1 or higher is required. That's because confidential
credentials are being sent, the username and password specifically.

It isn't possible to set TLSv1.0 for un-authenticated email, and TLSv1.1
for authenticated, though that would fix the problem.
If TPG were using TLS1.1 OR sending without TLS at all, everything would be
perfectly fine.

While I agree that TPG aren't doing the 'wrong' thing, they are using a
protocol that is almost 20 years old and generally considered not secure.

We got some great details to get in touch with them (thanks for that) and
we are working towards a solution. Thanks to everyone for responding and
have a great day!

Regards,

Bradley Silverman | VentraIP Australia
*Technical Operations*