[AusNOG] Assistance and Access Bill moves to PJCIS

Nick Stallman nick at agentpoint.com
Wed Dec 5 08:33:02 EST 2018

Also does this mean that the custom firmware for one or a handful of
targets is not a systemic weakness, but if (when) the custom firmware
leaks out publicly and can be used criminally, it suddenly does become a
systemic weakness?

So a request can become illegal after it's already been executed?

Note: I say "when" because by it's very nature, a copy of the firmware
must be provided to the targeted criminals.
Smart people being targeted could detect and make a copy of it, do a
diff and hey presto they know exactly what's going on.
It's like DVD encryption - you encrypt the content and then hand over
the keys so the DVD can be viewed.

On 5/12/18 7:12 am, Scott Weeks wrote:

> --- me at chrishawker.com.au wrote:
> From: Christopher Hawker <me at chrishawker.com.au>
>
> https://apple.news/AOnumlAB9THOmg_8mnMS9DA
>

> "Custom firmware built to address one notice or request
> is not a systemic weakness unless it is deployed to
> users other than the intended targeted user."
>
> I don't understand.  They're going to write encryption
> software with a weakness they can exploit and then force
> the criminal to put it on his computer?  How do they get
> this malware only on "the intended targeted user('s)"
> computer and no one elses???
>

> "So long as the capability is held in reserve it does
> not jeopardise the security of other users and is not
> a systemic weakness," the department stated.
>
> Um, it compromises "the security of other users" in
> that any computer interacting with the malware infected
> computer is compromised by the interaction.
>

> scott

Nick Stallman
TECNICAL DIRECTOR
Email 	nick at agentpoint.com <mailto:nick at agentpoint.com>