[AusNOG] Dutton decryption bill

Paul Brooks pbrooks-ausnog at layer10.com.au
Wed Aug 15 13:31:07 EST 2018

Thanks Aftab for the plug - this is something that IA has been tracking and meeting in
Canberra with various Minister-types down over the past 6-9 months, trying to
determine what they were looking to do, and educate them on the concerns.
This is data retention all over again. On one hand, as an ISP, if you don't actually
supply end-user devices and all the OTT messaging apps pass through your network,
there may not be much in this to concern.  This Bill is aimed at
Samsung/Google/HTC/Oppo, and OTT service providers like Apple iMessage, WhatsApp,
Google Hangouts, etc.
They were quite insistent they would not be seeking to back-door encryption, and as it
happens, they were right! They just want to back-door the entire device. And website,
which is classed in there too.

If you're in Canberra on Monday night, we've got a number of people from MIT Computer
Science and Artificial Inelligence Labs (CSAIL) and other experts that talk to USA's
people, and tickets still available - From 4:30pm, with free drinks provided afterwards.

 https://www.eventbrite.com.au/e/encryption-experts-session-evening-in-canberra-tickets-48911717263

They're taking feedback/submissions/comments for 4 weeks only - is anyone planning to
submit some comment?