[AusNOG] Business customer smashing their "unlimited" MBE 20/20Mbps internet service

Jacob Bisby ausnog at jdmnet.com.au
Thu Sep 28 20:58:27 EST 2017

My experience with similar situations is that a talk to the customer will
often resolve issues. One example is we had a customer smashing 100% upload
(40mbit) on their NBN tail in business hours that was having some negative
effects on other customers - for example most here would know that AAPT NWB
aggregation bandwidth, even as the seemingly cheapest option these days,
still isn't particularly cheap per mbit at low volumes, so it can really
bite into the margins of small ISP's if you happen to pick up a lot of heavy
users with relatively few low-utilisation services to 'offset' the cost of
supplying the high utilisation ones.

In this particular scenario, I ended up just having a friendly discussion
with the client's MSP, turns out that they were doing rather large offsite
backups and the client was happy to reschedule them to another time of day -
good outcome for us and them.

When it comes to products where you're not paying some exorbitant
aggregation/CVC per mbit cost though, unlimited should be fair game unless
it's facilitating an illegal activity or being done with malicious intent
toward the network. Transit & peering are "cheap enough" even at low-ish
volumes that I can't really fathom a lack of transit being an excuse to pull
fair-use on a business. If you are having transit problems with just one
20mbit tail being fully utilised, it might be time to genuinely consider
just reselling the 'transit-bundled' version of the services until you have
the volume of sales to justify bringing in services to your own network on
Layer 2.

That being said, I can appreciate we all have our own unique scenarios to
deal with and that the above is idealistic at best. that's half the fun of
the job :) .

*	Jacob