[AusNOG] Recovering "disconnected" POTS number??

Matthew Solly matt at mtt.me
Tue Nov 28 23:16:05 EST 2017

The number can absolutely be retrieved and reactivated, you just need to speak with someone that knows how to do it. It’s unlikely that the number is “gone” - unless it’s been ported out, it can almost certainly be reactivated.

The only hiccup you may run in to is that when reconnecting the service, the lessee account details provided to Telstra Wholesale must be identical to the previous lessee (i.e, the lessee of the service that was disconnected).

Given this is caused by managed disconnection there are a few steps:

1. The retail provider needs to escalate with Telstra Wholesale using the contacts they already have and provide evidence the address is not serviceable for NBN (if indeed it is not). This is probably the most time consuming bit, but you can always go down the CDNO route if getting the number back urgently is required.

2. If it is verified that NBN is not available, Telstra Wholesale will make the address available for copper orders in LOLO. The retail provider just needs to lodge a “New Service” order in LOLO and add the “Assessment required -> Specific CSN” product.

3. Alternately if you don’t want to resurrect this as a landline again or the address is serviceable for NBN, you can reconnect the number as a CDNO (exchange based redirect). The process is pretty much identical to ordering a new copper service, and again the provider just needs to add the “Assessment Required -> Specific CSN” product in LOLO when ordering the CDNO. Once activated you can port the number out to any other provider of your choice.