[AusNOG] Pocket Ethernet Tester

Damien Gardner Jnr rendrag at rendrag.net
Thu Sep 22 09:13:52 EST 2016

I was in on the AUSNOG group buy a few years ago.  It's a really useful
device.  But your intended use case will make a big difference to whether
it's really useful for you.

It's great if you have a break in a cable and want to TDR it out, or need
to do an DHCP/IP connectivity test, etc.

But if you're just working your way through a datacenter or office, testing
every port before handover, it's just far too slow. (You're talking 30-40
seconds per port just for it to do the probe.  A simple 9-LED tester
pulsing through is MUCH faster.

If I'd known before I ordered just how slow it was, I probably wouldn't
have bought one.  Though when I need to do a simple TDR, it's much more
convenient than lugging anything else around :)

On 22 September 2016 at 09:08, Dylan Chidgey <
dylan.chidgey at cirruscomms.com.au> wrote:

> Morning All
>

> Just wanted to see if anyone has any experience with this device/App and
> get some feedback.
>

> http://pockethernet.com/
>

> Cheers
>

> Dylan.