[AusNOG] NBN’s $800 million Optus network might need to be rebuilt

Robert Hudson hudrob at gmail.com
Thu Nov 26 12:32:46 EST 2015

On 26 November 2015 at 11:24, Greg Anderson <ganderson at raywhite.com> wrote:

> My mind boggles.  Did Australia really vote for this?

That depends if the nation considered the NBN to be a critical election
issue.  Given the misleading information that was/is floating around at the
time, it's certainly safe to say that the truth of the matter was not an
election issue, and thus we got the NBN we voted for.

You have to remember that probably 90% of the population don't understand
the difference, or understand what they're potentially missing out on.  And
that at least 50% of those who do understand don't care.

And of course, 95% of those who understand and claim to care are too
apathetic to actually do anything about it.  I wrote to my local member
regarding the NBN before the last election, asking for clarification of the
policy, and then told him that I would not be voting for him based on the
policy that was presented.  I spoke to the Labor candidate, and was more
pleased with his response than that of the sitting Liberal member.

I'd be interested to know how many on this list bothered to go to that
(small) length.  I don't care if your opinion matches mine or not - how
many of you thought the NBN was a big enough issue to get up off your arses
and make it known to politicians what your opinion of it was?

Because if three-tenths of fuck-all of us on this list did it (and I fully
expect that's the answer), then what hope was there that the general
population actually considered this an election issue?